The BS7858 is the British Standard that meets the requirements for correctly carrying out the security screening and vetting of new employees.
Without the correct employment screening or background checks you are taking a huge risk on a new employee.
- Are they really who they say they are?
- Have they worked where they say they have worked?
- Have they got a hidden past that a simple check would reveal?
- Do they have the correct permit to work here?
Although the majority of people are honest, it is a fact that everyone lies on certain occasions and a competitive job market often leads those that are normally truthful to exaggerate a qualification, a previous employment position and whether or not they have a criminal record.
With staff fraud and illegal workers on the rise employment screening should be part of the main backbone of any company’s Counter-Fraud Policy.
If you haven’t yet adopted such a policy we strongly advise that you do so without delay.
The BS7858:2012 will help to:
- Deter those that either have a wish to infiltrate your company with an intent to cause harm from applying for employment.
- Detect more determined individuals who have such a subversive intent, at the recruitment/application stage.
- Deny or flag-up individuals unsuitable for employment in certain roles.
- Ensure you only recruit the right person for the right job.
The BS7858:2012 includes the following checks:
- ID confirmation
- Five years address history
- Right to Work check
- Character references
- SIA Licence check (if applicable)
- Bankruptcy / Insolvency / IVA
- CCJ (Up to £10,000)
- Credit score
- Five or 10 years employment history
- Gap referencing (more indepth and extended to 31 days)
- Basic Disclosure
Online training available for your staff on how to carry out Pre-employment checks to the BS7858:2012 british standard – click here